Our Float Spa is one of the best ways to reach a deep place of relaxation and healing. Flotation Therapy is Utah’s newest and finest addition to alternative medicine.
When floating you lie in a pool of skin temperature water ten inches deep that is saturated with around 1000 pounds of Epsom salt.
With that much salt in the water you float just like a cork on the surface of the water.
The magnesium from the salts absorbs into your body soothing your muscles and allowing them to relax deeply.
Because many people are deficient in magnesium this can be very healing.
Float spa Utah may help you find relief from pain, stress, anxiety, depression, PTSD, and insomnia while also giving you greater energy and helping you recover more quickly from sports and exercise sessions.
Click here to learn about some the exciting cutting-edge research currently being conducted into the benefits those who float regularly may receive.
Read more about Floating :
Frequently Asked Questions
- I’m pregnant. Can I still float?
Absolutely! It’s great for baby and mother. In fact, pregnant women probably get more relief from the float pool than anyone else. Just lying on a bed can be extremely uncomfortable for a woman in the later stages of pregnancy due to the massive gravitational strain placed on the body. The float pool is a wonderful haven for pregnant women. If you have any concerns about the effects of floating during a high risk pregnancy, we ask you to consult and get permission from your physician before you float.
- Will my skin get wrinkly?
No. The high Epsom salt content of the water means that the water will not draw the salt from your skin and cause wrinkles like a long bath does. Epsom salt has been used for centuries as a medicinal treatment for various skin conditions. It is non-toxic and is not harmful if swallowed (although it does not taste good!). Epsom salt is actually quite nourishing for the skin, which may feel silky smooth after your float session.
- How are the pools kept clean and disinfected?
There is 1000 pounds of medical grade Epsom salt dissolved in each of our pools. Salinity is at 1.30 grams per cubic centimeter. The solution is so high in saline that no living microorganism can survive in there. After each session, the entire volume of the solution is pumped out and filtered through a three part filtration and sterilization system utilizing Ultraviolet light and H2O2. UV is the safest most effective system available. It maintains the water’s soft, clean and crystal clear appearance. In addition all clients are required to shower prior to entering the pool.
- Are there situations in which I will not be permitted to use the flotation pool?
We will not allow you to float if you have any of the following conditions:
- Infectious skin or respiratory disorders
- Open wounds
- Have colored or permed your hair within 7 days
- Under the influence of any drug or alcohol
- Currently menstruating
- Under 18 without parental presence
- We expect you to inform us of any conditions for your own safety and the safety of other floaters! We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at any time.
- Can two people float in one pool?
Yes! We are one of the few places in the US to offer couples float sessions. Our pools are designed specifically to be large enough to comfortably fit two people at the same time. Floating solo or as a couple each is a different experience so try both and see what works best for you.
- What happens if I get salt water in my eyes?
It’s going to sting. But no worries…you can just use the nearby spray bottle to rinse off your face, then lie back in the pool and resume your float.
- Would I drown in the flotation pool if I fell asleep?
It is highly unlikely. The water is only about 10″ deep and has a very very high density of salt. This water is buoyant and will support you regardless of your size or weight. If you were to turn over the salt in the water would sting your eyes and wake you. Since you are floating you do not need to know how to swim. Additionally it’s not dangerous to fall asleep in the pool. We actually encourage it! One hour of sleep in the pool is roughly equivalent to 4 hours of regular sleep.
- What do I need to do to prepare for this experience?
Most importantly…relax. The pool will help but if you arrive relaxed, the experience will be more beneficial for you. There are a few additional things to consider.
- Avoid shaving, tanning, waxing or anything else that would increase the sensitivity of your skin. We have complimentary vaseline to protect any small cuts from stinging.
- Remove your contacts prior to floating (bring a container to store them in).
- Hair color needs to be set well enough for your shower water to run completely clear.
- It’s best to avoid caffeine before you float, it may interfere with your ability to relax.
- Those currently menstruating will need to reschedule.
- Floating is very relaxing. If you come to your appointment on an empty stomach you may be distracted by hunger noises. We recommend eating something small prior to your float allowing 30 minutes or more to digest before your appointment.
- Those under the influence of alcohol or drugs are not permitted to float.
- Do you wear anything in the pool?
Since it is a private experience, most people don’t wear any clothing. Anything you wear will press against your body, becoming a distraction. In this regard imagine it as similar to getting into your bathtub.
- Is there a cumulative effect of using the pool on a regular basis?
There seems to be a cumulative effect with consistent use of the pool. This is not documented by research, it is the pool users who know it is true.
Relaxation is a learned art that needs practice
- Will I be able to resume my daily activities when I get out?
Yes. And it may be good to arrange your time so you don’t have to rush. Many people enjoy savoring the peace and quiet before jumping into something hectic. Also of consideration, you will shower off after your float before leaving. You are welcome to bring items you typically use post shower and put yourself together in our vanity room.
- What will it be like for me?
We don’t know what it will be like for you since it is such an individual experience. Nearly every customer reports having profound peace and relaxation, deep concentration and creativity. We like to avoid saying too much before people use the pool, so that they aren’t influenced by what someone else says. Not only will it be different for you than it is for anyone else, it will be different each time.
- How long do people usually stay in the pool?
We recommend 60 or 90 minutes for first time floaters. As you become more experienced and aware of the effects, you may find that 60 or 90 minutes are effective. Others may want to float for 2, 3, or more hours
- I’m a bigger guy / gal, can I still float in your pools?
Unless you’re over 7 feet tall or over 500 pounds, you’re good to go.
- How often should I float?
While you can float every day without harm, we find that the relaxing effects of a one-hour float typically last beyond that day. For best results, we recommend regular sessions, and many clients find that floating once or twice a week provides the most benefits.
- That tank looks scary…what if I’m claustrophobic / afraid?
Because some people can feel trapped or claustrophobic in traditional float pods we chose to go with open float pools to be the most comfortable and accessible to the widest range of people possible. You are always in control and can leave the pool at any time if you wish. However, we do encourage you to stay in for the full treatment time if at all possible to receive the maximum benefit.
Benefits of Float Therapy
Floatation therapy is a simple, effective way to invest in your own health and happiness. We at Body Balance would like to take a moment to invite you to extend a little extra TLC to yourself. Here are ten benefits of float therapy.
1) Tame tension headaches: A recent study at UC Irvine confirms that floatation therapy is a “long-lasting and versatile treatment” for chronic tension headaches. Neck tight? Shoulders tense? Relief is just a float away…
2) Improve sleep: Insomnia comes in many forms, but it’s never a welcome visitor. Floating just twice week for two weeks has been shown to improve insomnia symptoms for 12 weeks. Begin a once-a-week float habit, and start sleeping better…what’s not to love about that?
3) Reduce blood pressure: “Lowering your blood pressure can pay off in significant reductions in your risk of strokes and heart attacks, regardless of your age and even if your readings are already in the normal range. So even if you’re young and healthy, everyone can benefit from lowering their blood pressure, and floating is a simple, effective and even enjoyable way to achieve that goal.
4) Relax: Numerous studies have shown floatation therapy to be an incredibly effective and accessible way to reduce many symptoms of stress. Participants in these studies experienced elevated moods, better sleep, reduced cortisol levels and lower blood pressure. Stress makes life harder; luckily, floating is an easy solution.
5) Speed up muscle recovery: Floatation therapy has been shown to reduce lactic acid and pain levels after athletic training. Less muscle soreness means you can get back to your favorite activities sooner, and maybe even expand your repertoire of fun.
For the die hard athlete, faster recovery can equal attaining your goals sooner.
6) Enhance your creativity: Floating has been shown to invigorate creative thinking and problem solving and increase energy. Whether you want to improve the quality of your artistic pursuits or just perform better at work, enhanced creativity is just a float away.
7) Meditate without practicing: Meditation is good for us, but many of us are intimidated by the idea that we need to “practice” regularly to reap its rewards. People who float achieve many of the same benefits of meditation with a fraction of the effort. You don’t have to master a particular mantra, coax your knees into uncomfortable poses or achieve perfect focus…just float. It’s that simple.
8) Change bad habits: Maybe you smoke or habitually consume multiple boxes of Girl Scout Cookies. No judgement…but if you’re interested in slaying some of your dragons, floating can help. Studies show that floating can lower addictive urges and ease symptoms of withdrawal. This can be a huge benefit that helps you reach your goals.
9) Love thyself: Adding floatation therapy to your life’s to-do list is a simple way to comfort and heal the daily strains and struggles of life. Many of us give so much of ourselves away–to friends, family, work–that we lose sight of the vital need to refresh ourselves. In one hour, you can re-set your mind, soothe your soul, and emerge energized and renewed.
10) Improve relationships: Because floating reduces stress, increases feelings of well-being and enhances awareness, many avid floaters find that their connections and interactions with others become more sensitive and positive. What’s not to love about that?